Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Combining My Geekery for Sci-Fi & Baseball


This is a personal project that started a while back in response to Illustration Friday's topic of "infinite". I thought of outer space first since it's as infinite as you're gonna get, and plus I'm a geek. I'm not sure how I came up with the baseball idea... that was just some random randomness.

I liked the implausibility of the idea of sports without gravity. How could every hit not be a home run? Could you still throw a curve-ball in space? I'll have to ask my physicist friend about that. Anyway, I turned the idea into a series of baseball cards. Above is the second one I completed. He's the requisite robot, with the other two in the series being the requisite human, and requisite alien.

At fist they looked all glossy and futuristic, but then I thought it would be better to add some texture to crap them up a bit like they've been sitting at the bottom of some space-kid's space-drawer for a long time.

I'd love to keep going on these, but they take frickin' forever! As it is I think I'll print them and send them out as promos. If you want to see the complete series I plan to feature them in my e-newsletter which you can sign up for here.

No comments:

Post a Comment